Friday, July 14, 2006



Does it make me a bad person that I'm blogging at work? I just needed a mental break.
I was thinking last night about how cheesy the title of my blog is...but then I thought, well, it's appropriate. I was lying in bed thinking about how different life is where I live now. I suppose the title implies that we're farmers or something, which we're most definitely not. It is a real farm, there are people that farm the land we live on, those people just don't happen to be us. Hmm...I got off track...Right, I was lying in bed last night thinking about the differences between the places I have lived. All pretty much city or at least suburban places. And I've liked the places I've lived, for the most part. I was noticing one night last weekend when I was standing on my parents' patio how much different it sounds than standing in my backyard at night. There were commonalities...tree frogs singing, crickets, etc. What I was noticing though were the things you hear in Hendersonville that you don't hear where we live. Traffic noise, which never bothered me when I lived there (and really still doesn't, I just notice it), airplanes circling...things like that. That all use to be just background noise that I didn't notice. Every place I had ever lived before moving to Martin had that (except for Pembroke, but we had artillery fire to make up for it there). The daytime sounds are different too. I really and truly thought I would never get used to the roosters (who actually crow all day, not just in the morning...who knew?). They used to wake me up every single day...EARLY!!!! Now I don't even hear them, unless I'm outside and they're all crowing in unison. Weird how fast you get used to something, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kind of like the title of your blog. But then I "get" it, I know y'all aren't farmers. I guess the background noise is all just something you get used to after you've been someplace long enough. We have tank fire and low flying planes over our house b/c the landing strip is just a half a mile behind us. Interesting that you don't notice the roosters though.