Monday, October 30, 2006

It was such a nice day today here. I think the temperature was in the 70's and it was so clear and sunny! Which was good since I spent alot of time on the road today. It most definitely looks like fall now, the trees were beautiful all the way to Camden. I don't have a whole lot to blog about, but since I haven't blogged in awhile, I figured I'd at least try.

We had a pretty busy weekend. Redoing the library is proving to be more difficult than I thought. Mark had a wallpaper border up in there and since we were going to take that down and paint, we had to remove all the glue residue. That was a messy and tedious job, but we got it done. Mark replaced the baseboard and I got 2 coats of paint on all the trim except for the windows. There are 2 windows in the room...one to the outside and one that is between the library and the enclosed back porch (the yellow room). Mark got one coat of paint on the sun room window, but the outside window has to be scraped and then sanded. I got to do lots of that when we redid the sun room. I don't like it. So I'm procrastinating. Mark also got a couple of coats of paint on the ceiling. All the trim and the ceiling is bright white (like the trim in the guest room and the sunroom). It's amazing how much brighter the room already looks with just the trim and ceiling repainted. And with the border down. In a house that is as dark as this one, that dark border just made the room seem smaller and darker. Not what we're going for. Mark painted a little on the wall color on last night so we could see what it looks like with the trim. I think it's actually a little darker than what is currently on the wall, but it has a much cooler tone to it, so I think it will still brighten the room up and make it look much cleaner. It's sort of a crisp khaki color. It's not exactly what I remember picking out, but I think I like it better. It should look really good.

It would appear we're taking the night off from painting, though. Mark seems really tired. I think the time change is not agreeing with him. I'm not a big fan either. I hate it being dark when we leave work. It doesn't exactly motivate me to want to work on anything when I get home. Although, other than the library project, there isn't much I want to work on, there isn't much point. We have all the furniture out of the library, so it's cluttering up every other available space in the house. So I don't see any point in cleaning any other rooms since they all seem filled with miscellaneous clutter and furniture from the library. It's driving me nuts! Hmm...maybe I should find something to paint so I can get this project over with. It may even be motivation enough to sand something.

One of my friends at work is redoing her kitchen. She was asking my opinion on it last week and they started on it this past weekend. She is repainting her cabinets, and after that whole LONG project with Mommy's kitchen I felt I had a little experience to speak from. She is doing a similar thing with her kitchen. Kind of an Italian/Mediterranean feel. The walls will be a sagey green and the cabinets are going to have a crackle finish...I wish we had thought of that when we did Mommy's...what Jimmie's doing sounds pretty cool, AND it was my suggestion, which makes it that much cooler, right? Her base color will be the same as the walls, then you paint on a crackle glaze. Then you paint on the second color (cream in this case), then you seal the whole thing. So it'll be cream with little veins of green...I think it'll look pretty neat. Four coats don't sound like fun, but I think it'll look good. She seems excited about it.

That's about all I can come up with for now. You people need to blog, so get on it! I have nothing to read! Except for you Daddy, I read yours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read away, I just blogged!!

XOXO

Anonymous said...

I guess you all didn't have any trick or treaters last night, right?

The crackle thing. I've done that before. For one thing, I would think to buy that crackle stuff you use would be $$ since I've not seen it in large quantities, but there's probably something I don't know about that. But also, if you brush over it twice, it makes a mess. Overall, I think what we did was probably easier. To get your crackles to look natural and uniform can be tricky. But good luck to her.

Jennifer said...

I think the idea of the crackle is good, but pulling that off and making it look good is pretty tough!